What Brings Me Joy Trio

My joy project is based on the feeling I get when I see palm trees at night while on my travels. My goals and intentions in this project were to express a common feeling people might have for other simple objects. Mine just happens to be palm trees! To accomplish this common feeling, I had to be relatable. From my experience, I know that many people enjoy taking pictures of palm trees while traveling day or night, but particularly at sunset which is what I expressed through color with different shades of blues, greens, and purples. What quickly became surprising to me was the feeling of having to reteach myself how to use colored pencils. It seems strange, but I haven't used them in such a long time that I had to practice blending the colors and figure out how my texture should look. The most difficult challenge I faced was perfecting my marks and style of how I was drawing. Though I did different style trees, they all share the same markings and amount of pressure applied to the paper with the pencil. This is how they all come together. It was harder than it looks! Part of you wants to do different techniques with the different trees, but I quickly realized that would not unify them. To meet this challenge I simply had to take a step back from my drawing every now and then to get a better perspective on where I stood on following my design through. I experienced the shift from left brain to right brain thinking when I drew the sky. I did not feel like I was drawing the sky, but creating different ombre shades to resemble it. For example, the middle drawing fades from purple to green, and back to purple. My drawing really works with the black bark that contrasts with the lighter backgrounds. From this project I learned that old habits and techniques can be found again when doing art, and you might just find that you have improved since you last used it. The artist Edward Hopper helped me to draw what I imagined. He is a realist artists that uses contrast very well in many of his works just like my drawings, which taught me how to blend color more realistically. Watching Ellie's techniques she used on her fabric really helped me to figure out how to begin and end my project successfully. If I had a do-over I would probably take more time to give the leaves more texture. Overall, I love how perfectly my work came together. Each tree is so different but the same. It makes you stop to think and look at it which is what all pieces of art should do. 

Comments

Popular Posts