Lessons I Learned From Peggi Kroll

From doing this project I learned that it is okay to go for a painting that might be out of you reach skill wise, but I think that is what made made me be able to succeed. Yes I was more focused on detail then I should have been, and it was hard, so I quickly learned to just slap it on there, and eventually got similar results!

By learning from Peggi Kroll, I have been able to use unique colors that you don't find many artists using. This challenged me to have to create these colors and I found different color combos that I had never thought would work together.

When you are "mapping" you are doing a kind of quick plotting of where your shapes are going to go that create the picture. This helps you create a painting done with haste that gives you the correct look that Peggi Kroll goes for.

I now know how to create different colors that are typically hard to make, and how to "map" or plan ahead for where are want my markings to go and how I want my image to look.

Mr. Gaudreau helped us understand that less is more.

I remember in the video we watched the man somehow got it through to me that in the beginning stages of your painting, it isn't going to look like much, but if you keep at it in the end (which it doesn't take long) you will find yourself looking at what seems close to a real image.
The man also told us that you can make colors with other colors you wouldn't expect. Just look at the yellow in the surf board. It took me a while to get that shade.

From the video, I can say that I learned that this skill takes lots of practice, but I am happy with how my first trial turned out.

My drawing's theme focused mostly on pale pastel colors as you can see from the greens in the water, and the surfboards. All my spacing, shapes, and lines had purpose and were needed to complete this picture. Together they created a really cool texture especially in water and the boys bodies.

When describing a style of painting, "painterly" means a loose approach to painting where even the brushstrokes create a certain texture in the work.

One thing I learned that I will bring back to my next painting is how to create texture with the amount of paint you apply to the surface. In my case, I could do this while making the waves which was a perfect way for starting with this technique.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts